Sunday, August 8, 2010

Steamed Dates Cake

My first recipe blog... 
             



Since my oven doesn't support baking, I was very much sad seeing the wonderful recipes in different blogs. Recently in Maria's Menu, I saw the recipe of a steamed cake and it gave me the idea that cakes can be prepared in this way also. Started searching for steamed cake recipes and tried making a Banana steamed cake. To my surprise it turned out super... 

Since during this season dates are available easily here, I wanted a dates cake recipe. 
This dates recipe, I got from Aayi's Cooking and originally it is an oven recipe. I made a little changes in the ingredients to make it a steamed cake. I am posting all the steps...

Ingredients:-
20 dates
1 cup milk ( I used 1 cup water and 3 tsp milk powder)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil or butter
3/4 tea spoon baking soda powder
1 cup maida (all purpose flour)



                            



  1. If you are using dry dates, soak it in water overnight. I used ripe dates, so no soaking was required.
  2. Remove the seeds and add 1 cup of milk. Boil it till the dates become tender. ( I boiled it in water and added the milk powder while grinding)

  3. Grind it to a smooth paste along with the sugar. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar according to your taste.
  4. Pour the paste to a dish and 3/4 tea spoon baking soda add 1/4 cup oil or butter and mix it well. Add the flour little by little and mix it slowly.

  5. Grease the sides of a pan and put a wax paper or butter paper on the bottom. Pour the cake mix on to the pan. Take care that the cake mix should fill only 2/3 portion of the pan. Keep the pan in a steamer/idli cooker/appachembu. ( I kept one idli thattu upside down so that the pan fits nicely on it.)




  6. Close the lid and steam on low flame for at least 25 - 30 minutes. After 25 minutes open the lid and insert a knife on the cake and check if it comes out clean.


  7. Keep the cake in the pan itself till it is completely cool and then transfer it to a plate and decorate it.



7 comments:

  1. Good work dear :) Keep posting !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmy.. when can i get a piece of this cake?? miss u :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, do you steam it open or closed? Does the batter need to be covered with foil?...Anu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closed...... If you are using a steamer, you have to cover the batter with foil.

      Delete
  4. Hi, just want to confirm with you. So no eggs at all?

    ReplyDelete